The Mara Rosa Project is a greenstone belt, shear hosted meso-thermal gold mineralized system of Neo-Proterozoic age located near the village of Mara Rosa in the state of Goias.
The project encompasses aproximately 60,000 hectares of exploration permits and 2,600 hectares of mining permits. Local infrastructure is excellent, with nearby access to Brazil’s main North-South highway and close proximity to the national capital of Brasilia (320 km) and the state capital, Goiania (350 km). The main accumulation of gold within the Mara Rosa project is known as the Posse Deposit, which occurs in two main zones, Posse North and Posse South.
Reserves And Resources
|MARA ROSA GOLD DEPOSIT (Pre-Feasibility Study September, 2018) Resources*|
|Cut-Off = 0.35 g/t Au||Tonnes (MT)||Grade (g/t)||Ounces Au|
The Posse Deposit was discovered in 1982 by a predecessor of BHPBilliton, by drilling and testing a panned gold-in-soil anomaly in an area mined actively by garimpeiros. BHPBilliton sank a shaft and undertook small scale mining of the oxide ore before forming a joint venture with Western Mining Ltd. in 1988. In 1992, the property was sold to Western Mining. Western Mining operated an open pit from 1992 to 1995.
In total, it is estimated that 80,000 oz. of gold was extracted from Posse. Of this amount, approximately 31,000 oz. was extracted by Western Mining during this period, using heap leach and a 600t/d CIL plant. In 1998 Western Mining sold the deposit to Metallica Brasil Ltda. for US $1.5 million. Metallica conducted small scale drilling, compiled data and searched for extensions to the mineralization by mapping, soil sampling and ground geophysics.
Amarillo purchased the Posse Deposit from Metallica in October 2003 for US $450,000. The project carries a 1% NSR to BHP/Billiton, and a 1% NSR to Franco Nevada. Changes in management, the shareholder base and the purchase of the Mara Rosa property triggered an RTO (Reverse Take Over), from which the Company emerged in November 2005. Upon completing the RTO process, the Company immediately commenced drilling on the Posse Deposit.
Major Permitting Milestones
- Public hearing held in 2016 demonstrated overwhelming community support
- The main Preliminary License (LP) granted in May 2016
PRELIMINARY LICENSE (LP)
- Most important part of the permitting process
- Entails environmental baseline studies, social and environmental approval with public hearings
- Awarded by the EPA and the Judicial Ministry
INSTALLATION LICENSE (LI)
- Provides authorization to initiate construction
- Expect to apply after feasibility study in late 2019
OPERATION LICENSE (LO)
- Granted after commissioning
- Requires inspection of the constructed mine and plant to ensure compliance with codes and provisions of LP, LI